Working remotely will be familiar for some, but a whole new experience for others. Follow my tips to ensure that you’re looking your absolute best in front of the camera...Read more
“Working remotely will be familiar for some, but a whole new experience for others. And with the advent of technology such as Zoom, WhatsApp and Skype, it means that we can connect easily with our work colleagues. But how do we dress for online video calls?
Follow my tips to ensure that you’re looking your absolute best in front of the camera:
1. Forget ‘neutrals’ such as beige, taupe, camel and stone. This is certainly not the time to be shy! Insipid shades don’t fare well in front of the camera. Instead opt for a bold shade from your palette. Navy or charcoal grey would be better than black.
2. Busy patterns can be distracting, and stripes are a big no-no as they tend to strobe on screen. Block colours are much better.
3. If you can, sit in front of a plain background (neutral colours work well in this instance).
4. Accessories can be annoying particularly layered bangles that jangle; keep them to a minimum. Dangly earrings can be distracting so opt for smaller studs. Consider just wearing one necklace – quiet one!
5. Check your buttons and neckline before going ‘live’ to avoid an embarrassing faux pas.
6. Make-up can look different online so it’s a good idea to view yourself via your computer screen beforehand. Shimmery eye shadows and highlighters can look just that… shimmery! Opt for matte finishes instead.
7. As tempting as it may be to wear loungewear all day, it would certainly boost your confidence (and your mood) if you wore something smarter. There’s probably no requirement to wear full business dress but dressing up will definitely make you feel better about yourself.”